FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS FOR THE WILLIMANTIC CLASSIC
- Q: Is there Bag Check?
- A: Bag Check is available.
- Q: Is there information on Parking?
- A: parking in and around Jillson Square is plentiful. Parking map
- Q: What about Water Stops?
- A: The 5K, 10K and the half marathon offer water stops with a choice of water or sports drink mix. Thank you to all our water stop volunteers and sponsors!
- Q: Are courses Certified?
- Q: Do you offer a Kids Race?
- A: There is a free kids fun run starting at 8 am. Children will be racing on Jillson Square (not on the road) with 'medals' for all the finishers!
- Q: Day of Race Registration?
- A: YES. All three Classic races will accept registrations up to 15 minutes prior to their respective start times. None of the races have been capped for 2017.
- Q: Potties on course?
- A: There will be potties along the course, at the trailhead crossing as well as at miles 6.5 (as you pass Jillson Square) and near mile 9.5 as well.
- Q: Strollers, Pets, Unregistered Runners?
- A: For the safety of all our runners: No strollers, pets or 'bandit' runners are allowed on the course.
- Q: Results?
- A: Race Results will be available on race day near the Finish Line and posted on our website live during the race.
- Q: Will Awards be presented?
- A: There will be brief awards ceremonies to recognize our runners at around 9:15 am for the 5K, 10:30 for the 10K, and after the finish of the Half Marathon to award prizes to top finishers.
- Q: Are the Roads Open?
- A: Roads are open to traffic for these races. Please follow the instructions of our Volunteers and Course Marshals, they are placed along the course to help direct you and keep you safe.
Q: Are walkers welcome?
A: YES; walkers are always welcome! Walkers are asked to start at 7:00 am for the Half Marathon to give them plenty of time to finish. Walkers are asked to start towards the back of the pack for the 5K and 10K.
Q: What if I cannot finish?
A: Go to the next aid station, radio check, water stop or alert one of our cyclists or Course Marshals. We will send someone to get you safely back to Jillson Square.
Registration Questions: Refunds, Deferrals, Switching Race Distances
Your registration for any WAC (Willimantic Athletic Club) event is non-refundable within 30 days of the event date. Outside of the 30 day window, Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and they will help you. However, if you have registered for an event but find you are unable to participate less than 30 days prior to an event, you may choose to defer your entry for credit to a future event. Please read the policy details below:
Deferrals are allowed within 30 days before the event. No deferrals allowed outside the 30 days; with the exception for military deployment
- Entrant may defer for any reason.
- The request for a deferral credit is final and may not be reversed.
- Deferral credit is good for one year from the date of the event from which you are deferring.
- Deferral credit may NOT be transferred to another runner.
- Deferral credit may be used for entry into any WAC event within 12-months from the date of the event.
- Deferral credit amounts can only be used toward race entry fee.
- Deferral credit cannot be used to register for MORE than one future event.
Instructions to Defer an Entry:
Switching to a different race distance within the same event:
- If you have registered for an event that has multiple distances, you may switch to a different distance in that event. Transfers may be made prior to or during Packet Pick-up, provided that the distance you are switching into has not reached its Entry Limits (i.e. Sold Out).
- There is no service fee for making any transfer. However, if you are upgrading to a longer distance (i.e. from the 5K to Half Marathon) you will pay the difference in entry fees for the upgrade.
Instructions for switching race distance prior to packet pickup / race day:
Q: Can I Transfer my registration to another runner prior to packet pickup/race day?
A: Absolutely. Please send an email to email@example.com and they will help you. There will be a waiver to sign at packet pickup for the new registrant. Bib numbers may NOT be transferred to another person for any reason at a WAC Event upon the day of the event.
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any specific questions about these policies or if you registered with a paper application.
Inclement Weather Plan
- Weather forecasts will be monitored prior to the event paying special attention to the possibility of heavy rain, thunder and lightning, high winds and extreme temperatures.
- If necessary, athletes will be made aware of these predictions on the Willimantic Athletic Club’s web site and via email blasts with participating registrants so that they can adequately prepare for severe weather during the race as well as possible course alterations.
- On race day, the Race Director will monitor the weather and make a decision if any action will be taken to modify the race course. Possible scenarios include: change of race start time on the scheduled date, modification of the race format, change of race date or cancellation of the event. Wet, slick roadways, standing water and poor visibility due to heavy rains may require rerouting or shortening the course.
- Visible lightning will cause the race to be postponed for a minimum of 15 minutes. Additional sightings will continue to delay the race in 15 minute increments.
- If high winds are present, extra care will be taken to secure race signage, start and finish areas, mile markers, bike racks, fencing, banners, timing clocks and other equipment.
- If extreme heat is predicted, extra water will be provided to the athletes, both prior to, during and after the event.
Cancellation of Event
- If, due to circumstances beyond the control of WAC, an event must be cancelled then efforts to reschedule the event will be made. Registrants will receive the option of participating in the event on the newly scheduled date, or credit towards a future event hosted by WAC within 12 months. No refunds will be given. All reasonable efforts will be made to notify participants via the willimanticathleticclub.org website and/or email in the unlikely event of a race cancellation.